[afnog] AIS 2013 - Call for Presentations

Maina Mukhangu Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Mon Feb 25 05:38:56 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

This is a call to present at the Africa Internet Summit (AIS) 2013. The AIS
(AfNOG-14 and AFRINIC-18) will be held in Lusaka, Zambia, from 9 to 21 June
2013.

The AIS brings together different actors and sectors including Internet and
communications, governments, business, civil society and academia in Africa
and other parts of the world to discuss issues relating to Internet, and
other social and development related activities: mobile communications,
applications, technology developments, use and impact, etc. It also offers
trainings to mobile communications engineers, managers, decision-makers,
academics, and civil society on issues such as Internet number resource
management, IPv6, network monitoring and management, and cyber security.The
overall theme for this year’s Summit will be: Connection Matters: Making
the Internet work for African development.

The AISwill include trainings, workshops, tutorials, keynote speeches,
panel discussions, individual presentations, roundtable discussions and
plenaries.

To enrich the discussions at the Summit, we are seeking presentations from
different actors interested in sharing ideas and knowledge on a wide range
of issues broadly relating to access and appropriation of the Internet for
development in Africa but under the rubric of the overall Summit theme. We
are specifically interested in presentations focusing on:

1. Internet Governance
2. E-governance
3. Core Internet infrastructure
4. Access, utility and development
5. The Internet and economic development
6. Business practices in the era of technology
7. Higher education in the age of technology
8. Cyber Security
9. Technology and business
10. Cloud Computing
11. Open Data/Big Data
12. Technology and content production
13. Relations between mobile operators and the Internet community
14. Mobile applications
15. IPv6
16. Peering and interconnection
17. DNS
18. RPKI
19. IXPs
If you are interested in making a presentation at AIS 2013, please send us
an abstract of not more than 300 words outlining the key ideas of your
presentation. The call for presentations closes on 22 March 2013. We will
notify successful presenters by March 29 who will then be expected to
submit their presentations by April 30. We will publish the Summit
programme by May 15.

• Presentations will be 15 to 20 minutes in length, with approximately 10
minutes for Q&A at the end of each presentation. The maximum time allotted
per presentation will not exceed 45 minutes.
• Presenters will be responsible for any handouts. There are typically
approximately 250 delegates.
• Selected presenters will be contacted by the Presenter Liaison to
coordinate logistics and details.
• Note that proposals are reviewed and accepted on an on-going basis and
that presentation slots may be filled prior to this date.

*** Presentations that contain any sort of marketing and commercial content
are usually not encouraged at our meetings.

How to submit:

Please send submissionsto:aiscfp at afrinic.net

Your proposal should contain the following information:
• Full Name
• Email Address
• Affiliation
• Title of Presentation
• A detailed abstract or outline describing the presentation
• Draft slides for the presentation (if ready/available)
• Length of talk (minutes)
• Short biography

*Please note that we do not provide financial or any other support to
attend the meeting.

Important Dates:

• Deadline for presentation proposal submissions –22 March 2013
• Notification of Acceptance of presentation proposal - 29 March 2013
• Submission of presentation – 30 April 2013

Thank you for your contribution.

Kind regards,
AIS Meeting team
Come join us at AIS 2013, 9-21 June 2013, Lusaka, Zambia.