[afnog] default gw on Cisco 2960S ...?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Feb 22 02:13:38 UTC 2013

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 08:57:13 PM Frank Habicht
wrote:

> SW2(config)#ipv6 rou?
> % Unrecognized command

This is the constant madness of Cisco.

I don't have this switch in my stash so can't really tell
you what's actually going on here; but between all the
release notes I'm reading for IOS 15.0(2)SE and what the
(unreliable) feature navigator suggests, I'm not sure IPv6
static routing is supported on this release.

In the 15.0(2)SE release notes, you will notice this as a
new feature:

	Support for configuring static IPv6 routes in the
	routing table so that packet data can be sent to
	networks that are not directly connected to the
	router. (LAN Base image for Catalys t 2960, 2960-C
	and 2960-S switches).

The only thing is that 15.0(2)SE comes as a single universal
package, and not as a LAN Base or LAN Lite image. More Cisco
madness.

When I check feature navigator, it suggests IPv6 static
routing is supported only on 12.2(53)SE1 and 12.2(55)SE,
which are all universal packages also. Again, Cisco madness
between what the software actually does, what the
documentation says, and the feature matrix posted on their
web site.

I'd suggest:

	- Downgrading to 12.2(53)SE1 or 12.2(55)SE and
	  testing IPv6 static routing (you might or might
	  not need to updated SDM templates). You may lose
	  RA Guard.

	- Checking with TAC on what the deal is.

Hope this helps.