[afnog] Use of BitTorrents in Academic Environments

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:38:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM, NJIE Paul EFOME <efomenjie at camtel.cm>wrote:

> You can not use ports to block Bittorent.

Using TCP/UDP port numbers(ofcourse you don't mean interface ports ;) at
times can be dicey as those ports can be easily changed considering the
more sophisticated torrent clients we have around. Also blocking range of
ports may actually block off some important sites who necessary are not
torrents....at least i know it can affect some linux update sources

> You'll need an application layer firewall like Palo-Alto to achieve this.

On a personal note i usually don't worry much about filtering torrents, i
only worry about ensuring each client gets a fair share of the bandwidth.

Cheers!

> Regards,
> ----------------------------
> NJIE Paul EFOME