[afnog] BGP /AS filtering

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 1 12:33:10 UTC 2013

On Monday, July 01, 2013 01:43:22 PM Saul Stein wrote:

> OK so now my question needs to change. I was thinking
> that I shouldn't accept bad/private  AS paths from
> customers that buy transit from me and should either get
> them to fix their things or block them until they do.
> Clearly this isn't the way things are done.

Yes, it isn't the way to do things because your Sales guys
won't be happy with you. At the end of the day, you're a
profit-oriented business, so you may have to support certain
configurations that aren't really clean, but can be kept
from being disastrous.

Use of a private ASN is a completely valid design, but it
does have its challenges like the case we see from the
original message, where a router will not elide the private
ASN's if a public ASN is in the path.

Thankfully, recent code like that of IOS XE and Junos allows
you to go around that, and in some cases, even replace the
private AS with the local AS of the upstream network, if
necessary. But then again, expecting the upstream to support
this code is not guaranteed. Heck, several networks still
don't support 4-byte ASN's, and yet code has been out for
quite some time now.

> (Yes soon RPKI will really assist with this but in the
> meantime)  does one just filter ^AS-path_ and then all
> the prefixes that can be received from them?
> How is this generally done?

RPKI will surely help, but the problem here is at a much
lower level.

If you filter a prefix, you filter all associated NLRI. If
you filter by AS_PATH, you filter a prefix, which means you
lose all other NLRI as well.

In short, if you try to block the AS_PATH, you will lose the
prefix as well.

The best case is that the origin of the prefix announces it
from behind a public ASN, or that their upstream remove the
private ASN before it re-announces the prefix to its eBGP
neighbors.

RPKI will force networks to use public AS's for inter-domain
routing. But it may not force from not using private AS's
internally (which will lead to another case of this thread
again, and hopefully someone fixes things).

Moreover, as with 4-byte ASN's, networks still have to roll
out code that supports RPKI, and then implement it for it to
really come to life. All this will happen - in time.