[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 09:41:07 UTC 2013

Hell Graham,
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:13 AM, Graham Beneke <graham at neology.co.za>wrote:

> On 31/07/2013 07:51, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> > Okay now maybe we use a scenario; here am i in Nigeria sending this mail
> > through a mobile network that has over 40million users, and YES the
> > network is being NATed. So how much growth do you think will be required
> > to move such an operator?
>
> There are plenty of other graphs you can build. Here's another one
> specifically including Nigeria's current status. There is a long way to
> go still:
>
> http://v6asns.ripe.net/v/6?s=_RIR_AfriNIC;s=ZA;s=KE;s=NG;s=_ALL
>
> What you have shown is the status of v6 in the country, my response to
Mark was to explain why i think user growth will not necessarily move
operators to v6. So i believe its a mutal understanding that there is a
longer was to go rate of v6 deployment in Africa (not just Nigeria)

> In South Africa you get a public address on most of the mobile operators
> except when their dial pools overflow and then they provide RFC 1918
> with NAT.

Hmm...thats news to me. So the scenario is that i wake-up early and pray
that once i connect my dongle, it picks up a public IP, what a game of luck
;)

> AfriNIC has enough space in their free pool for that and they
> will issue addresses for that if they are requested.
>
> And why ain't the operator who from your explanation are willing to
deliver public down to a normal subscriber not applying to get enough space
that will go round?

Cheers!

> --
> Graham Beneke