[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Graham Beneke graham at neology.co.za
Wed Jul 31 09:13:47 UTC 2013

On 31/07/2013 07:51, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
> Okay now maybe we use a scenario; here am i in Nigeria sending this mail
> through a mobile network that has over 40million users, and YES the
> network is being NATed. So how much growth do you think will be required
> to move such an operator?

There are plenty of other graphs you can build. Here's another one
specifically including Nigeria's current status. There is a long way to
go still:

http://v6asns.ripe.net/v/6?s=_RIR_AfriNIC;s=ZA;s=KE;s=NG;s=_ALL

> My other question will be; does anyone know a mobile operator running
> public IP to normal mobile users at the moment in Africa? if none, what
> are the reasons why they are not deploying v4 especially since its still
> very much available; could one of the reason be that they want to
> leverage on the "security myth" that is associated with NAT?

In South Africa you get a public address on most of the mobile operators
except when their dial pools overflow and then they provide RFC 1918
with NAT. AfriNIC has enough space in their free pool for that and they
will issue addresses for that if they are requested.

--
Graham Beneke