[afnog] IPv6 Progress

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 05:51:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> As has always been said, non-technical users should not
> really care about what protocol they run on.
>
> Sure they wouldn’t if it will not bring a few $ out of their budget ;-)

 I think the pressure will come from growth in eye balls that

> force operators to start deploying IPv6 to get them access,
> than for content to start moving to IPv6.

Yes and No :-) if the provider can still meet up with his customer
needs(which is largely content related) on v4 then the pressure for v6 may
not be necessarily a pressure but a need.

> I mean, there is a lot more dual-stacked content/servrs out
> there today than this time two years ago, yet we still see
> more IPv4 activity still.
>
> Yeah because those contents are dual-stacked, how about if they were
native on v6

I think user growth will help shift traffic to IPv6, because
> at some point, NAT44 and friends will simply be too
> cumbersome to scale.
>
> Okay now maybe we use a scenario; here am i in Nigeria sending this mail
through a mobile network that has over 40million users, and YES the network
is being NATed. So how much growth do you think will be required to move
such an operator?

My other question will be; does anyone know a mobile operator running
public IP to normal mobile users at the moment in Africa? if none, what are
the reasons why they are not deploying v4 especially since its still very
much available; could one of the reason be that they want to leverage on
the "security myth" that is associated with NAT?

If some actually exist(which i am looking forward to knowing), why are they
not deploying v6; could one of the reasons be because their clients are
currently happy with access to content. Could it also be the actual cost of
deploying v6 for such a huge mobile network which had mostly v4 only
devices?

Well maybe the user growth will help on the long run but definitely not in
near future.

Cheers!

> Mark.

*Seun Ojedeji,