[afnog] AS Path transparency on Route Server

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jun 8 13:27:57 UTC 2013

On Saturday, June 08, 2013 02:13:27 PM Philip Smith wrote:

> Mmmm. All you need is a Cisco 7200 which can run 15.2S
> IOS software (specifically 15.2(4)S2 which is what I
> use). And a Cisco 7200 with 256M RAM and an NPE400
> processor is the minimum spec - it can be done pretty
> cheaply now.

You learn something new everyday - I wasn't aware the code
had now been ported to other platforms.

Just done a quick search, and looks like the feature is
supported on all manner of hardware, ranging from the 800
series right through to the 7200 series boxes. As Philip has
mentioned, you require IOS 15M or 15T, and you're rocking.

> (Or the ASR1000 as Mark mentioned, but that's, umm, less
> cheap.)

Indeed.

It introduced on this platform with IOS XE  3.3S. But unless
you need the 16GB of RAM you can get from the ASR1001 today,
I'd echo Philip and say consider the software-based
platforms if you want to run this on a typical router.