[afnog] AS Path transparency on Route Server

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Jun 10 12:24:13 UTC 2013

Hi there,

Perhaps a more basic question is why you are trying to strip the AS number of your route server from the AS_PATH at all. You might well have good reasons, but you could consider this more basic question before proceeding with the andyware or more debugging of quagga.

Having a route server AS number in the AS_PATH attribute of routes learnt from it has the potential to influence your exit decision (as a customer of the route server) but if you're already managing that with LOCAL_PREF (customers > peers > transit) then it will make no difference.

It is frequently handy for debugging (I find) to be able to identify quickly whether a route was learnt from a route server or learnt in some other way.

Joe