[afnog] Bridged Access Network

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Oct 9 13:26:56 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, October 09, 2013 03:17:22 PM Chris Wilson
wrote:

> Beware PPPoE MTU issues. Maximum MTU for pppoe is 1492
> bytes unless you can enable jumbo frames.
>
> If you deploy anything with MTU < 1500, you will have
> weird issues outside your control (due to remote
> firewalls blocking ICMP TTL-exceeded messages, which is
> against the spec but they do it anyway) and that will
> give you support headaches, and you can only deploy
> additional hacks such as MSS clamping to work around
> them, which will give you more headaches, and you end up
> with one of these:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cat_Drop

Like I said, DHCP is just simpler :-). No need to play MTU
games, e.t.c.

Similarly, on the backhaul side, one can replace L2TP with
MPLS (using VPLS or my new favorite, EoMPLS) when running
centralized BRAS topologies. Obviously, all this is
unnecessary if you have equally distributed BRAS topologies,
whether for PPPoE or DHCP.