[afnog] Kindly recommend best step to take.

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Thu Apr 17 13:16:59 UTC 2014

Ikemefuna Odiachi. (i.odiachi) writes:

> Requirement:
> All 3 Vendors will drop 1x E1 modem and 1x router as CPE at the HQ DC
> I need to integrate the 3 WAN links so that the entire WAN is centrally managed/provisioned from a single core network device

	Hi Odiachi,

	You mean: each vendor will terminate a link to your premises, to aggregate
	their "share" of the 340 locations ? Or will they each bring a router ?

	How will each of the 340 locations be presented to you ? VLAN ? other ?
	Or will you have to point statics down to each vendor's WAN aggregation
	point ? Or will you see each of the IP of the remote location's router ?
	(will this be L3, or L2, basically).

> My asks:
> 1. Which network device would you recommend to do this (aggregation router, multi-layer switch)?

	How much inter-site trafic do you expect ? Or will it all be mostly to
	and from Internet and core services/servers ?

	Cisco ASR comes to mind, or even a beefy Linux/UNIX box, depending on
	the throughput.

> 2. If this is unavailable, do you agree that we can use a Cyberoam UTM (CR2500iNG-XP) to perform this aggregation? (We are looking to do this with a default route set up from each of the 3 WAN routers to the Cyberoam)

	I would definitely leave the security part upstream, and not mix those two
	layers. To be honest, I don't know the Cyberoam, but I would keep routing
	and firewall separate, to make things easier to debug. There may be
	restrictions in throughput via licensing or simply filtering/inspection
	performance.

	Cheers,
	Phil