[afnog] privacy vs caching

Amreesh Phokeer amreesh.phokeer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:33:26 UTC 2014

Hi Randy,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> caching is very difficult with end-to-end encryption as the cache does
> not have the private keys of the server.  the ietf is in a bit of a
> muddle on this.  should one allow middle-boxes to break the encryption
> and fake it?

This would be a bad idea.

> so which is more important to you and your customers (think consumers,
> banks, news sites, ...), end-to-end encryption to ensure privacy, or
> caching to reduce bandwidth consumption and improve latency?

User experience set aside, one question that I think is worth asking is why
should we cache information which needs to be encrypted in a first place,
knowing there is a potential security issue there?

By default, my Firefox browser sets SSL disk caching config to true.
browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl;true

> randy

Amreesh Phokeer