[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Badru Ntege ntegeb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 17:47:43 UTC 2014

Hi Patrick

On Jan 29, 2014, at 10:25 PM, Patrick Okui <pokui at psg.com> wrote:

> Hi Badru,
>
> On  29-Jan-2014 12:27:22 (+0300), Badru Ntege wrote:
>> Hi EANOG only seems to exist in Kenya.  I have not seen any activity of
>> EANOG outside Kenya.
>
> That's a valid complaint to bring up on the eanog lists (no I'm not part
> of the current eanog organisers).
>
> However, I do recall that the first eanog event was a training held in
> Uganda for some ICT ministry employees. I wasn't able to participate as
> a trainer but the trainers for that event are on this list …

You are right but if you remember this was the first attempt for the regional event and this was to a specific group where we pooled resources facilitators from the region.  Following that it proved unrealistic for sustainability and nothing happened until it got revived in Nairobi and i understand a number of events have happened in Nairobi under the EANOG umbrella.

I think to make my point clear i feel it is better to first build local country NOGS then bring them into the Regional Umbrella that way we will make sure that we bring relevance to the NOG concept but also make sure we extend the outreach.

These National NOGS can then come under the Umbrella of the regional NOG.  That will actually then show the impact relevance and value bringing more distributed knowledge base across the continent.

badru