[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Kevin Chege chege at isoc.org
Mon Feb 3 13:25:39 UTC 2014

Just a reply to Randy on the language issue and then to Badru on ccNOGs:

Language: Currently, workshops are mostly in English and French for Track
Zero, IPv6 and a couple of routing tracks. This has worked ok since most
of Africa speaks one of the two - the third being Portuguese. Portuguese
is a work in progress and some efforts that I am at least aware of on this
include having some capacity building on IPv6 in Portuguese soon. For
Track Zero, there is an online course being worked on that will be in
English first (Q1 this year maybe) and later in French and hopefully later
in Portuguese as well.

Regarding ccNOGs, I see regional NOGs like SAFNOG helping in getting some
ccNOGs established and working. Its possible that people who attend a
regional NOG event will see the value and will want to have their own in
country NOGs focusing on what they want to hear about. Time will tell. For
EANOG, yes most activities I am aware of have been in Kenya as well.
However, there are efforts to reach more people in East Africa. This past
weekend, there was a webinar on Network Design open to anyone and this was
circulated to a number of mailing lists including a few outside Kenya.

Kevin