[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Jan 28 14:51:18 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-28, at 08:57, JP <froztbyte at froztbyte.net> wrote:

> I’ll put this as non-offensively as I can manage, but: why bother?
>
> Why create a splinter community instead of just growing the afnog one further? I don’t see anything immediately listed on your site which couldn’t form up as a part or chapter of afnog.

We see local groups organising within areas covered by larger, regional groups all over the world. For example,

  NZNOG, AusNOG, JPNOG, SANOG, etc vs. APRICOT
  UKNOF, PLNOG, SWINOG, Internetdagarna, etc vs. RIPE

There are plenty of others.

I think this is great; those local groups provide a means of building local communities and discussing locally-relevant topics that might well not be interesting to a wider audience.

Joe