[afnog] Introducing Southern Africa Network Operators Group - SAFNOG

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 28 15:15:36 UTC 2014

Hi Seun/Froztbyte/all.

I'll offer some feedback to queries below.

SAFNOG, in its present form, is unlike country-level NOG's.
SAFNOG is focused on a 2-day, conference-style technical
operator meeting, open to all countries the world over, to
discuss technical, engineering and operational issues that
service providers, enterprise networks, NREN's, e.t.c., face
on a daily basis. While country-level NOG's tend to hold
workshops, SAFNOG will not hold workshops.

Unlike AfNOG (and as already mentioned above), SAFNOG will
not hold workshops, and focuses purely on a 2-day conference
looking at operational matters facing various sectors of our
industry, from a global and African perspective.

SAFNOG may be held more than once in a single year, also
unlike AfNOG and some country-level NOG's (up to two or
three times a year).

SAFNOG is not meant to compete with AfNOG or country-level
NOG's. In fact, SAFNOG will compliment them, where papers
and issues discussed at SAFNOG will be prime candidates for
presentation at AfNOG, given SAFNOG is scheduled before
AfNOG. To this end, SAFNOG will give young presenters the
chance to make their work or challenges public before
considering bigger meetings like AfNOG, and in the long run,
further promote knowledge sharing and openness among
operators in the African market.

SAFNOG is not driven by ISOC, or any single entity we know
of today. It is supported by volunteers who have generously
offered their time, for free, to build SAFNOG. For a list of
the current SAFNOG Management Committee, please see:

	http://www.safnog.org/org.html

Hope this offers some general clarification.

Cheers,

Mark.