[afnog] 2nd. Call for Papers and Participation - I Workshop pre-IETF (Side Event to CSBC 2014)

Juliao Braga juliao at braga.eti.br
Sat Mar 29 18:46:39 UTC 2014

Hi Jean,

1. Lacnog created a group about IETF named IETF LAC
(https://mail.lacnic.net/mailman/listinfo/lacnog), free participation,
where you can write in English, Spanish and Portuguese. This have no $$.
  :-)

2. Alvaro Retana, Chair of IETF LAC, realized two virtual events about
IETF, And will carry out others. Also no $$.

3.  We are looking to develop face-to-face encounters associated with
existing events in our countries. We started last year and this year,
more strongly, along with the SBC (Brazilian Computer Society) in the
largest Brazilian Congress of computing (CSBC -
http://csbc2014.cic.unb.br/index.php/sobre-o-csbc ). SBC provides us
enough space in Congress without costs. And ISOC has supported without
restrictions ensuring the participation of guests. Therefore, no $$.

4. In regional events of LACNIC and NIC.BR, we also got space at no
charge, in which we gather stakeholders about the IETF.

Our main focus is to encourage the academic community (researchers and
students) to keep an eye out to the demands of the IETF. In this regard,
I note the Committee Pos IETF our Workshop. The purpose of this
committee is that, in future, be composed of permanent and experienced
volunteers who can guide new Latin America participants in the IETF (as
permanent mentors).

Also, we have been concerned about the low participation of the LACNIC
region in IETF (as also is the AFRINIC region participation). In Brazil,
by bring attention to the IETF we get good results. CGI.BR (Brazilian
Internet Steering Committee) approved grants for participation of
researchers (students) and members of private companies for three
consecutive years in all meetings of the IETF. Also approved funds to
publish a book with Tao in English, Portuguese and Spanish to distribute
in Latin America (we will send some copies to AFRNIC ...). Of course we
have people who are dedicated to pursuing these initiatives.

Despite the unconditional support of ISOC , the IETF has not
demonstrated genuine interest by these regional events, yet . But we
expect this to happen soon.

[]s,

Juliao