[afnog] How to convince providers to take the sane option....

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 14 09:02:08 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:26:00 AM Roland Dobbins wrote:

> My guess is that it's largely bit-rot.  Configs are
> working, and some operators are loath to touch them,
> lest Bad Things occur - so the routing isn't
> re-optimized to take into account changing
> circumstances.

Based on what I see in the region, the large service
providers (be they wholesale or retail) no longer have this
issue. There is a good amount of clue that folk are not
afraid of changing things around.

This could, however, be the case for significantly smaller
providers and/or enterprise networks who don't invest in
backbone management (not that they need to; it's not their
core business).

> Another component is likely siloing between network
> operators and content/app providers.

Well, as Andrew has mentioned, the argument that "more and
more content is the solution" no longer holds true, because
there are already a large number of CDN's in Africa (either
at peering points, or with partner African ISP's) that are
grossly under-utilized primarily due to inconsistent
routing.