[afnog] How to convince providers to take the sane option....

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed May 14 08:26:00 UTC 2014

On May 14, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com> wrote:

> Anyone who doubts there is local content, I might point out that as of 10 minutes ago, I'm looking at traffic graphs that are showing hundreds of megabits a second of traffic flowing between African countries where we HAVE managed to make this work, though it could be a lot higher if the routing was just sane!

My guess is that it's largely bit-rot.  Configs are working, and some operators are loath to touch them, lest Bad Things occur - so the routing isn't re-optimized to take into account changing circumstances.

Another component is likely siloing between network operators and content/app providers.

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.

    		   	  -- Laocoön