[afnog] How to convince providers to take the sane option....

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed May 14 09:10:50 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:58:52 AM Miku, E. Cornelius
wrote:

> Mark, may be you can explain this scenario;Here a
> provider advertises the de-aggregates alright but not
> all of them and not the aggregate. I know the provider
> has not only one /20 but only advertises 2 0r 3 /24s.
> And the same provider offer hosting services to local
> clients which are not within the prefixes they advertise
> to IXs. What reason could they have to do this?

A couple of potential reasons a network could do this:

	1. They don't have enough bandwidth to the exchange
	   point, and as such, are using routing to control
	   how much traffic is loaded locally. In fact, it
	   is possible they have less bandwidth to the
	   exchange point than they do internationally.

	2. The provider is assuming that the majority of the
	   audience that his hosting service is serving are
	   not in Africa. This is a fundamental issue which
	   I'm not sure can be resolved here :-).

	3. The provider could be withholding those prefixes
	   from settlement-free peers, but can make them
	   available to customers who are willing to pay
	   money for them, i.e., either as IP Transit
	   customers or as paid peers.