[afnog] A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Daniel Kofi ANSA AKUFO kofi.ansa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 03:26:26 UTC 2014

On 18 September 2014 10:23, Noah <noah at neo.co.tz> wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2014 16:58, "Daniel Kofi ANSA AKUFO" <kofi.ansa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I was just reviewing some IPv4 stats allocated in our region and I came
> across this disgusting scheme where some ORGs have been assigned huge
> chunks of IPv4 in our service region and wasting the resources.
>
> Wasting in what terms.......? Specifics please. .....

How much of the content on these sites served using the allocated IPv4
space is relevant to the development of our region. Now that is a /12
allocated and believe me there are many other such huge chunks out there.
It is a waste because it does not in anyway contribute to our regional
development.

http://www.afrinic.net/en/about-us/origins

Could you argue FOR how such content encourages Internet development in
Africa as specified in the above link which spells out the basis for the
establishment of our RIR?

> > I don't have an issue where IPs are used but my concern is when huge
> resources in the order of /12 are issued to virtual ORGs and they tend to
> abuse it for spamming and other activities. A typical example is the /16
> block which was issued as part of /12 to an ORG last year.
>
> Any empirical evidence that this guys are using the space for SPAM....in
> any case.....?

First of all spamming and abuse issues was what triggered the discovery of
these allocated resources.

> > http://bgp.he.net/net/154.87.0.0/16#_dns
> >
> > I know for sure some AFRINIC hostmasters did their best to prevent this
> but then their efforts are over ridden by so called management ...
> >
> > The issue gets even sour when well known service providers through their
> officials assist these so called ORGs to perpetrate these abuse.
>
> ISP business is not to police downstream customers but to offer then
> transit.......

This is not about policing downstream customers its about maintaining due
diligence by promoting activities and investments that will develop the
service region.

Could you tell the community how the activities of these ORGs allocated
with such huge resources help the development of the region?

Our region has been allocated roughly *5  x /8 IPv4 blocks*. */12 IPv4* is
just out there not been used efficiently with respect to activities that
contribute to regional development and corporation. I could list at *least
8 more (none less than /17 IPv4)* out there currently used in such
activities. Yet we are reluctant to pass policies that will enable our
tertiary institutions to acquire more IP space for R&D.

Unfortunately AFRINIC just keeps providing number stats of allocated
resources in the sub region which does not correlate with efficient usage
of the resources with respect to impact on the region's development.

My question to the community is how do we measure or track progress in our
region based on these number allocation stats?

Is there a need to restructure and recompose our RIR to reflect the
challenges specific to our region to impact development in the region?

Clearly the many PASSIVE policies we have now are not working. There needs
to be a more vibrant follow up process after resources by the community at
large.