[afnog] A typical case of abuse of our resources!!!

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Fri Sep 19 13:45:52 UTC 2014

Kofi,

Again, I state here that I wrote in my personal capacity and not as a member of the board or any other organisation that I may be associated with.

I have long argued (and continue to argue) that without policy that allows board involvement specifically in the policy, the board has zero mandate to get involved in IP allocations.  The rules around IP allocations are set by the PdP, which is a defined process/body within the bylaws.  The board approves policy, it does not set it, and I would argue it would be seriously amiss if the board were to start playing in policy and bypassing the PdP.

If policies are being misinterpreted by the host masters, either the policy wording is ambiguous or the case can be appealed to the operational management if someone feels the hostmasters are not doing their jobs (and I myself have followed this route in the past where there has been disagreement).  But nowhere in any policy or in any bylaw is a mandate handed to the board to get involved in IP allocations or IP allocation policy.

If you wish to see that you have two options a.) either write policy and get it approves that entrenches that position or b.) Get the bylaws modified to extend the mandate of the board.  If you wish for (b) it will have to be done at an AGMM and approved by 2/3rds of the membership base present as are the rules for bylaw amendment.

Andrew Alston
Group Head of IP Strategy
[cid:41F29117-7C0A-42B2-81DA-A5927B7242DF]
Sameer business Park, Block A, Mombasa Road. Nairobi, Kenya
T: +254 205000000 -  M: +254 733 2222 04 - E: andrew.alston at liquidtelecom.com