[afnog] local pref issue with HE

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Dec 26 06:52:44 UTC 2015

On 25/Dec/15 17:40, Tarig Yassin wrote:
> sorry for the mistake....
>
> I mean the 2nd link still preferred even it has longer AS-PATH.
>
> Also I've contacted *HE*, they said all routes received from AS_1299
> "telia" will be assigned local_pref =70.
> this is by design and can't be changed.
>
> this is a real issue for us, because we can't loadshare traffic
> properly via AS-PREPEND technique.

As others have already mentioned, LOCAL_PREF trumps AS_PATH prepends, as
a traffic engineering technique.

Your options are to "intelligently" de-aggregate" (longest match trumps
everything else as a traffic engineering technique), or to re-think how
you choose your transit providers and how much bandwidth you buy from
each them.