[afnog] developing BGP tools

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Feb 17 20:34:45 UTC 2015

On 17/Feb/15 20:03, Hiba Eltigani wrote:
> Hello Scott
>   good sources :), but I have a question in the same line. Once we had
> service provider which ask us to create our routing objects in RIPE
> IRR database before specific time to make sure that its filter will be
> updated and allow our new routes. This reduced a lot of communication
> and time and made it easy for us to change our policy without worrying
> about whether the provider updated their filter or not. We want to
> replicate that for our customers but we have no clue how they managed
> to update their BGP filters automatically from IRR database. Do you
> have any information about this?

You'd have to install RPSL-compliant code.

RIPE used to distribute their code freely for use in commercial
environments. But that was years back. I don't know if they still do now
because I lost interest in RPSL as a viable method to automate routing
filter generation and management.

But, it is still widely used by several large (and small) networks
around the world.