[afnog] CISCO & 4byte AS numbers

Saul saul at enetworks.co.za
Wed Jan 14 11:17:07 UTC 2015

Thanks Mark!

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Tinka [mailto:mark.tinka at seacom.mu]
Sent: 14 January 2015 11:46 AM
To: Saul
Cc: afnog at afnog.org
Subject: Re: [afnog] CISCO & 4byte AS numbers

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 10:26:15 AM Saul wrote:

> I find it strange that such a late version of code would still follow
> asdot notation.

12.4T is actually not that young anymore.

Back in 2007 when the NPE-G2 (and its sister, the 7201) came on the
market, 12.4T was the launch train for this platform.
Things changed a great deal after that with the unit branching off into
the 12.2SR* train to make it more service provider friendly.

In fact, the latest 12.4T code (the one you're running) you get for the
7201 and NPE-G2 is from 2012. In Internet terms, that is the stone age
:-).

For this platform, I'd suggest moving to 12.2(33)SRE, or better yet,
15.2S. Either of them will default to "asplain", and give you the option
to configure "asplain" or "asdot".