[afnog] RPKI

Saul saul at enetworks.co.za
Tue Jul 28 09:09:19 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

thanks

On further investigation, it appears that the old ROA engine is/was  "off
the air" (I say was, at the time of writing this email, it appears back -
I have been in contact with Afrinic, so.but waiting to hear anything)

The challenge that I am finding is that there seems to be no way to verify
real time.

Using http://validator.afrinic.net:8080/trust-anchors, I have revoked an
offending prefix 154.72.108.0/22 yet despite the update timer saying it
was updated 5 minutes ago (10:50) and I revoked the certificate at 10:16,
it still shows at axtive.

The prefix has one originating AS in the old engine and another in the new
engine (I am migrating networks)

Another prefix 41.77.156.0/23 which had a ROA in the old engine, when
querying at bgmon, show no ROA - same for all my other prefixes in the old
engine.

[saul at linux1 ~]$ whois -h whois.bgpmon.net " --roa 32653 41.77.156.0/23"

[Querying whois.bgpmon.net]

[whois.bgpmon.net]

That said, a few hours later and I am now, correctly getting:

[saul at linux1 ~]$ whois -h whois.bgpmon.net " --roa 32653 41.77.156.0/23"

[Querying whois.bgpmon.net]

[whois.bgpmon.net]

0 - Valid

------------------------

ROA Details

------------------------

Origin ASN:       AS32653

Not valid Before: 2014-02-06 13:27:59

Not valid After:  2018-02-01 13:27:59  Expires in
2y188d16h52m24.2000000029802s

Trust Anchor:     rpki.afrinic.net

Prefixes:         41.77.156.0/23 (max length /23)

Maybe BGMon had an issue.. (with us and others)

So my question is more how to get accurate realtime verification of what
is in the DB and what others are seeing.
http://validator.afrinic.net:8080/trust-anchors isn't current (or even
vaguely, despite their timers)

Thanks

Saul