[afnog] DSTV HD Model 45 Decoder not displaying DMX text on what is playing

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Wed Sep 16 12:15:58 UTC 2015

While online audio streaming is growing to be a viable option and my undergrad duaghter
packs our home DSL connection with it day and night, what we are missing even at these
streaming  data rates is not just some audio quality but content in terms of a good quality text
display for what is playing and some video as is the case on DMX as I have already
highlighted.

I know that FM stations have a section of the radio spectrum which they can use for text but
the feasible data rates are very limited and corresponding displays can only drive seven
segment quality of video, at best. I spent quite a bit of time on this in graduate level
communications theory on modulation formats, I know that you cannot drive data for a high
quality display and transmit good quality sound in one frequency band allocated to an FM
station, unless things have changed drastically even for streaming.

On the other hand, choice is coming for digital TV such as terestrial digital TV based on ITU
digital TV broadcast migration that is now a requirement for every country. In Malawi this is
still new and still big news as the Malawi Digiatl Broadcast Network Limited has recently
launched its network as a signal distributor, see: http://www.malawidigital.mw/ and am heavily
involved in this in Malawi - and - I know that this is happening in many other countries.
Whether these will rise to run services such as DMX of HD quality as is currently available on
DSTV is still on the far horrizon, it could happen.

So, we do still need to chase things like Multichoice if they provide bad quality services such
as on DSTV and DMX, which we pay for, while we await these new services and networks to
come and come up to scratch.

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda