[afnog] DSTV HD Model 45 Decoder not displaying DMX text on what is playing

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Sep 16 10:01:42 UTC 2015

On 16/Sep/15 11:42, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:

> True, and especially unrealistic if you are not sitting directly on or connected directly to a fast
> connection like directly on or direct to Seacom. Direct satellite to your home in our Africa
> region still makes more networking sense for HD level video and audio services like those on
> DMX via DSTV and Multichoice

For video, yes, you need a good link, especially if you're streaming
reasonably compressed HD content.

But for audio (particularly radio streaming), 32Kbs, 64Kbps and 128Kbps
are typical transfer rates on the Internet.

The average radio station, and all its infrastructure + environmental
conditions, will hover between 64Kbps - 320Kbps FM quality (mostly on
the lower end of the spectrum) as seen from an MP3 quality looking
glass, if you may. So quality-wise, you're neither gaining nor losing much.

> So this badly unresolved long outstading issue on the Multichoice DSTV satellite TV network
> is truly regrettable and very very frustrating.

If there choice is not exercised, this is what happens.