[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Saul Stein saul at enetworks.co.za
Fri Aug 12 13:54:39 UTC 2016

>I'd be curious to know why they are doing that. When I've tried that, it's
>always been because i wanted to plug and use my own more powerful CPE with
>IPv6 capability >(instead of the crappy one ISPs tend to provide)

>It could be because they feel their CPE is more powerful (which normally
>means they've been with their CPE for so long and trust it compared to the
>ISP-supplied CPE).

>It could also be because they feel the ISP's CPE will be intruded upon from
>time to time without their permission.

I am going to use words very loosely here so please forgive me.

<consumer hat>

Why use your own CPE? Here in ZA, there is a large ISP that gives ADSL
modems/routers for free. They run a TR069 type service but don’t give you
access to control your router (which is also your firewall and NAT device).
I control my own stuff thank you very much. Hence I haven’t used their free
router.

<ISP Hat>

If my customers use our CPEs then we can do funky stuff like Liquid and roll
out v6 etc but when we don’t give them control they have to do their own
thing… it’s a catch 22.

There is also then the question of firewalling…if the customer only uses the
provider CPE, how do they manage their network?