[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Aug 12 14:09:03 UTC 2016

On 12/Aug/16 15:54, Saul Stein wrote:

> I am going to use words very loosely here so please forgive me.
>
> <consumer hat>
>
> Why use your own CPE? Here in ZA, there is a large ISP that gives ADSL
> modems/routers for free. They run a TR069 type service but don’t give
> you access to control your router (which is also your firewall and NAT
> device). I control my own stuff thank you very much. Hence I haven’t
> used their free router.
>

> <ISP Hat>
>
> If my customers use our CPEs then we can do funky stuff like Liquid
> and roll out v6 etc but when we don’t give them control they have to
> do their own thing… it’s a catch 22.
>

> There is also then the question of firewalling…if the customer only
> uses the provider CPE, how do they manage their network?

I've been in both positions, both as a user and as a provider.

But speaking as a user, when I had an ADSL service, the telco provided
their ADSL modem/router. Initially, I run IP on it, but later on, bought
my own wireless router and run the telco's modem/router in Bridge mode.
I did this because the telco's modem/router lacked in features. Also,
the telco's modem was a very cheap Billion device, which cost me less
money in replacements after lightning strikes, compared to replacing my
wireless router which also supported an ADSL modem.

After I moved to FTTH, I initially ran the ISP's ONU in Bridge mode and
did all the IP on my wireless router. However, with the massive increase
in bandwidth by going to fibre, my wireless router kept falling over
because it didn't have enough memory to handle all the NAT44 state I
threw at it.

The ISP's ONU was much bigger (in memory terms, but physically also),
and had decent features for my use-case (including IPv6 support,
although lacking a few IPv6 features, not to mention the lack of IPv6
support from my ISP at present). So I switched my wireless router to
AP-only mode, and did all the IP on the ISP's ONU. Of course, I did
reset my ISP's ONU so as to log into it, secure it and make sure they
can't get into it apart from sending it a configuration from the OLT.

My ISP isn't picky about me locking them out of their own CPE, but I
know many ISP's would take exception to this. Plus, their ONU comes with
a decent number of Gig-E switch ports, 802.11ac and dual-band
802.11a/b/g/n. So why replicate that, especially if it's a free upgrade
from them :-)?

In both cases, I took control of the ISP's CPE. Finding ADSL settings
for a particular network is not hard, and GPON ONU settings are
hard-coded to the device delivered to your premises. But, I appreciate
that I'm in the minority, as are you and several others. With consumer
broadband, we have to think about the masses, the majority of whom
couldn't care less how Internet arrived to their homes, as long as it
worked.