[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Sat Aug 13 10:57:39 UTC 2016

Mark Tinka (mark.tinka) writes:

> In both cases, I took control of the ISP's CPE. Finding ADSL settings
> for a particular network is not hard, and GPON ONU settings are
> hard-coded to the device delivered to your premises. But, I appreciate
> that I'm in the minority, as are you and several others. With consumer
> broadband, we have to think about the masses, the majority of whom
> couldn't care less how Internet arrived to their homes, as long as it
> worked.

    This is a common scenario for many private/SOHO users. DHCP PD
    works perfectly, and lines up nicely with existing v4 practices
    (I'll use the ISP's CPE, why manage more devices than necessary),
    with the LAN immediately on the other side of the device (seen
    from the ISP side).

    The other case (CPE behind CPE) works "fine" with v4 (let's ignore
    double NAT and double port forwarding for a sec :) - but when doing
    v6 -> ouch.

    Andrew's earlier comment:

> The next biggest issue was customers who for some bizarre reason
> wanted to run CPE's behind the CPE's supplied (effectively doing
> dual-NAT on the v4), and if those don't support v6 or aren't configured
> for it, there isn't a huge amount we can do.

    ... is there a scenario where prefix delegation could be made to work ?
    Can CPE 2 use the prefix handed off by CPE 1, request another prefix
    amd stick that on *its* lan ?