[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Andrew Alston Andrew.Alston at liquidtelecom.com
Sat Aug 13 11:19:09 UTC 2016

Phil, in theory yes, but we don’t have access to that second CPE, so it’s hard to know what’s happening on it.

I’m actually in the process of authoring an RFI though to various vendors looking to explore other CPE options and find out what’s out there and who can meet the specifications we require.  Considering the volume’s I’m looking to purchase as well, it should be interesting to see which vendors reply with “We can do it” vs those who reply “We’ll produce something that can do it and fast on the basis of this RFI”

My mandatory specifications in the RFI are TR-069, DHCPv6-PD, sub-delegation to the LAN interface, RA WITH DNS advertisements and the ability to also run other-config-flag, DHCPv6 with ability to announce only DNS (for use with RA other-config-flag).

We’ll also be asking about a couple of other optional features.

The current CPE options we have work – but they aren’t ideal (mainly because of lack of TR-069), so let’s see what options we get!

Andrew

On 13/08/2016, 1:57 PM, "Phil Regnauld" <regnauld at nsrc.org> wrote:

    Mark Tinka (mark.tinka) writes:

    > In both cases, I took control of the ISP's CPE. Finding ADSL settings
    > for a particular network is not hard, and GPON ONU settings are
    > hard-coded to the device delivered to your premises. But, I appreciate
    > that I'm in the minority, as are you and several others. With consumer
    > broadband, we have to think about the masses, the majority of whom
    > couldn't care less how Internet arrived to their homes, as long as it
    > worked.

        This is a common scenario for many private/SOHO users. DHCP PD
        works perfectly, and lines up nicely with existing v4 practices
        (I'll use the ISP's CPE, why manage more devices than necessary),
        with the LAN immediately on the other side of the device (seen
        from the ISP side).

        The other case (CPE behind CPE) works "fine" with v4 (let's ignore
        double NAT and double port forwarding for a sec :) - but when doing
        v6 -> ouch.

        Andrew's earlier comment:

    > The next biggest issue was customers who for some bizarre reason
    > wanted to run CPE's behind the CPE's supplied (effectively doing
    > dual-NAT on the v4), and if those don't support v6 or aren't configured
    > for it, there isn't a huge amount we can do.

        ... is there a scenario where prefix delegation could be made to work ?
        Can CPE 2 use the prefix handed off by CPE 1, request another prefix
        amd stick that on *its* lan ?