[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Aug 12 13:55:16 UTC 2016

On 12/Aug/16 15:28, Jan Zorz - ISOC wrote:

> We need somebody with a powerful-enough impact (read: buying enough
> CPEs) on CPE vendor(s) to request a CLAT part of 464XLAT built in CPE.
> Then you can have IPv6-only "WAN" access and IPv6 + private_IPv4
> addresses on "LAN" side of the router.

My expectation is that it would just have to be in the code. I'm not
sure it should impact the hardware that much (if at all) on modern CPE's.

At any rate, GPON ONU's are an essential requirement in delivery of FTTH
technology over that medium. So vendors would be guaranteed sales,
particularly if they are also supplying the OLT.

> Other option is MAP-E/T.

My understanding is that compared to 464XLAT, 6rd and DS-Lite, MAP is in
very short real-life supply.