[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Loganaden Velvindron loganaden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 13:53:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 5:28 PM, Jan Zorz - ISOC <zorz at isoc.org> wrote:
> On 12/08/16 14:49, Mark Tinka wrote:
>>

>> On 12/Aug/16 14:41, Andrew Alston wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi Saul,
>>>

>>> It’s something we have been playing with, but we’re not convinced yet
>>> that things are quite ready for it.  Sadly, there is still a LOT of
>>> equipment in the home scenario that doesn’t do v6 at all (This is
>>> particularly the case with a lot of smart tv’s for example, especially
>>> with the prevelance of Samsung Smart TV’s in this part of the world,
>>> and yes, I’m naming and shaming here!)
>>>

>> Personally, I'd be doing NAT-64/DNS64/464XLAT.
>

> We need somebody with a powerful-enough impact (read: buying enough CPEs) on
> CPE vendor(s) to request a CLAT part of 464XLAT built in CPE. Then you can
> have IPv6-only "WAN" access and IPv6 + private_IPv4 addresses on "LAN" side
> of the router.
>
> I believe I heard that Technicolor is already experimenting with this stuff
> (POC).

Hi Jan, I would like to propose another idea. Get the CPE equipment
vendors to use a unified platform for their CPE equipment. Like many
of you, I don't use my ISP's default CPE equipment. I use OpenWRT from
another vendor. Right now, I'm loving the tp-link archer c7. It has a
sane ipv6 support, and it's easy to debug thanks to the interface.
OpenWRT 15 has kernel 3.18, with sold IPv6 support.

I poked around the huawei modem, and it's running an old Linux 2.6
with some horrible driver for the GPON. IPv6 from an unsupported linux
kernel ? What if instead, they use OpenWRT as their base, and upstream
their driver ? This would force them to improve the quality standards.
I know that buffalo used OpenWRT or DD-WRT or (LEDE).

If we are a huge enough customer base (in terms of volume of sale),
this can be used to pressure them to get decent CPE equipment for the
common people, not just hardcore geeks.

This would help to drive down support costs, and offer better services
such as AQM.