[afnog] IPv6 Native Mass Market Deployment arrives in Kenya!

Paul McMaster paulm at faircape.co.za
Wed Aug 17 14:07:01 UTC 2016

Hi

Unfortunately CPE vendors love their own software. There is a move
generally to whitebox hardware - but not really with CPE devices.
Hopefully when reality starts to sink in and vendor A sees an increase in
vendor B (Full IPv6 support) sales - this would hopefully motivate them.
Money talks in the end.

On 17 August 2016 at 15:53, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jan, I would like to propose another idea. Get the CPE equipment
> vendors to use a unified platform for their CPE equipment. Like many
> of you, I don't use my ISP's default CPE equipment. I use OpenWRT from
> another vendor. Right now, I'm loving the tp-link archer c7. It has a
> sane ipv6 support, and it's easy to debug thanks to the interface.
> OpenWRT 15 has kernel 3.18, with sold IPv6 support.
>
> I poked around the huawei modem, and it's running an old Linux 2.6
> with some horrible driver for the GPON. IPv6 from an unsupported linux
> kernel ? What if instead, they use OpenWRT as their base, and upstream
> their driver ? This would force them to improve the quality standards.
> I know that buffalo used OpenWRT or DD-WRT or (LEDE).
>
> If we are a huge enough customer base (in terms of volume of sale),
> this can be used to pressure them to get decent CPE equipment for the
> common people, not just hardcore geeks.
>
> This would help to drive down support costs, and offer better services
> such as AQM.

The integrity of e-mails sent across the Internet cannot be guaranteed and
messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk. The recipient should
scan any attached files for viruses as well as verify that the email
address of the sender is legitimate. All liability arising as a result of
the use of this medium to transmit information by or to the Faircape Group
of companies is excluded to the extent permitted by law. Faircape Group of
Companies assumes no responsibility or liability which may arise from any
attempt to gain unauthorised access to this account through hacking or
otherwise.

The information contained in this email is confidential and may contain
proprietary and/or personal information. It is meant solely for the
intended recipient. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If
you are not the intended recipient, any processing of the email or the
information contained therein (including disclosure, copying, distribution,
storage) or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. No liability or responsibility is accepted if
information or data is, for whatever reason corrupted or does not reach its
intended recipient. No warranty is given that this email is free of
viruses.