[afnog] IPv6 for residential customers in Mauritius

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Aug 17 13:09:54 UTC 2016

On 17/Aug/16 15:01, Jan Zorz - ISOC wrote:

> IPv6 on mobile should be much much easier than "to the home"... There
> are ways how to enable IPv6 on mobile networks and start giving to
> users IPv6-only PDP contexts without them even noticing that they are
> on IPv6. In this case 464XLAT is very useful and T-Mobile USA
> currently has over 12 million mobile devices on IPv6-only and
> absolutely no complaints at helpdesk because of IPv6.
>
> So, dear mobile operators - you are lucky and can enable IPv6 even
> sooner than everyone else ;) In my country (Slovenia) we had IPv6 on 3
> major mobile networks from year 2010 and things are just working well.

Completely agree.

Especially in Africa, where the majority of consumer Internet is
delivered over mobile networks, the potential to quickly get traffic on
to an IPv6 transport on the continent is real and great.

Unfortunately, I have not seen or heard of any initiatives from any of
the African mobile operators on their implementation of IPv6 in their
core backbones, for their services or to consumer mobile devices. If
things are, indeed, happening, please come out of the woodwork and make
some noise. We are eager to listen and support.