[afnog] Help on Kernel rewrite

Daniel Shaw daniel at afrinic.net
Thu Feb 25 10:42:51 UTC 2016

Hi Fred,

> On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:47 PM, Fred Mulisa <fmulisa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
> A friend ‎few days ago had a system crash on Dell PE R720xd RAID6 disks. 4 Disks failed but he managed to replace the same disks and successfully rebuilded.

Unfortunately it’s most likely that while the RAID volume was maybe rebuilt (from scratch) he probably did no retain all the data.

Usually RAID6 can survive two concurrent disks failing (compared to one in RAID5). But not four.

I think it’s highly probably he will need to start looking for backups.

Regards,
Daniel