[afnog] Survey: Collecting African IXP Colocation Data for research purposes (Slight changes in the survey)

Roderick roderick.fanou at imdea.org
Fri Feb 26 18:32:45 UTC 2016

Dear all,

After the first comments I’ve received yesterday, I would like to modify question 4 for more details that will surely benefit the community as well.

Please consider this version of the questionnaire and answer in the thread.

1- Could you please give us a list of your members with their corresponding AS numbers ?

2- Could you please add/validate your IPv4 and IPv6 peering LAN as well as your Administration LAN ?

3- Could you please add the IXP AS numbers if there are any ?

4- a) Is there bilateral peering between network operators at your IXP?

    b) Is there multilateral peering through route servers provided by the IXP (this implies the route servers have an ASN)

    c) * (optional) can peers influence advertisements through the route servers to other peers (by communities) ?

    d) Must peers use the route servers (Mandatory multi-lateral peering) ?

    e) if bilateral peering is done, multilateral peering is available and not mandatory, then please give the approximate shares/percentages of peers doing
         * only bilateral peering
         * both
         * only multi-lateral peering

5- Do you think your IXP would be open to connecting with other IXPs in order to increase peering in your sub-region?

All IXPs should therefore reply to question 4, while those listed below to all 5 questions.

MR; Mauritania; RIMIX
SD; Sudan; SIXP;
MU; Mauritius; MUIXP;
ZW; Zimbabwe; ZINX;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica JB;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica DB;
ZA; South Africa; NAPAfrica CT;
BW; Botswana; BINX;
AO; Angola; ANGOLA-IX;
SZ; Swaziland; MBabane-IX;
CI; Ivory Coast; CIVIX;
LR; Liberia; LIBERIA-IX;
BF; Burkina Faso; BFIX;
GM; Gambia; SIXP-GM;
TN; Tunisia; TUNIXP;
MZ; Mozambique; MOZIX;
RE; Reunion; Renaterix;
NA; Namibia; Whindoek-IX

Comments the existence or not of these IXPs are welcome.

SC; Seychelles; Seychelles-IX
MG; Madagascar; Madagascar-IX
LS; Lesotho; LIXP
GA; Gabon ; GA-IXP

@Bill, Be sure all the collected information will be published along with the results at the end of the study.

@Andy, Excellent initiative. Thanks for the link. But let us not lose focus from the survey. I will definitively open a discussion at the end.

@Yeye, the information requested is basically what identifies the IXP in the IXP substrate. Any operator or CDN who want to peer at your IXP need those information. The growth of the # of IXP members can also trigger their interest.
In the same way, to prove that your IXP exists and functions, a researcher need them. Among others,  we use them to identify an AS path which traverses an IXP in our datasets or to infer AS relationships.
However, most African IXPs do not have a public website or do not keep public datasets update. This is what lead us to this validation step. Please consult the following url to have an insight.

African IXes on PeeringDB (https://www.peeringdb.com/private/exchange_list.php?s_name=&s_city=&s_ipaddr=&s_country=&s_media=&s_region_continent=Africa)

ZINX (http://www.zispa.org.zw/), GIXA (http://www.gixa.org.gh/members/), SIXP (http://sixp.sd/), NAPAfrica (https://www.napafrica.net/peering-clients/)

Looking forward to read you all,

Thanks and regards,