[afnog] Survey: Collecting African IXP Colocation Data for research purposes (Slight changes in the survey)

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Feb 29 22:51:09 UTC 2016

On 29 Feb 2016, at 5:29, Roderick wrote:

> Hello Nishal, SM and all,
> > - If ASes 23889 and 30999 are listed to me as “the only peer at
> the IXP”

i read the mixp website really carefully;  it doesn’t have any such
claim.  in fact the list of peering participants lists many more
networks than these.

why would you assume this?

> , I would not consider Mauritian IXP as an IXP (without even
> performing traceroutes and carrying an AS path analysis).
> - If  “3 peers" among which both ASes 23889 and 30999 are listed,
> then given the AS path above the Mauritian IXP is not working; since
> all networks should be peering with one another.

not all networks might agree :-)

> - If more than 3 peers are listed to me, then this only traceroute is
> not sufficient to decide; since an ISP can decide to peer with some
> members and not with others.
> Please note that traceroutes should be performed in both directions
> and note that there are 30 ASNs in Mauritius
> (https://stat.ripe.net/MU#tabId=database).

there are definitely *not* 30 ASNs in operation in mauritius.  you’re
probably counting all afrinic’s ASNs - including the ones they use for
anycast, that are not, ttbomk, even used in mauritius.  and networks
that were made allocations but don’t use them.