[afnog] Survey: Collecting African IXP Colocation Data for research purposes (Slight changes in the survey)

Roderick roderick.fanou at imdea.org
Mon Feb 29 23:40:34 UTC 2016

Hi Nishal,

Sorry, I just saw the list of the members here: http://www.mixp.org/#members.

On Feb 29, 2016, at 2:51 PM, Nishal Goburdhan <nishal at controlfreak.co.za> wrote:

> On 29 Feb 2016, at 5:29, Roderick wrote:
>
>> Hello Nishal, SM and all,
>> > - If ASes 23889 and 30999 are listed to me as “the only peer at the IXP”
>
> i read the mixp website really carefully;  it doesn’t have any such claim.  in fact the list of peering participants lists many more networks than these.

Given the members list below, MIXP can not be classified in this case.

PS: That’s what I will do for Seychelles-IX.

> why would you assume this?

Because I did not spotted the website and hence the list :( that’s why I put “if”. Sorry

>> , I would not consider Mauritian IXP as an IXP (without even performing traceroutes and carrying an AS path analysis).
>> - If  “3 peers" among which both ASes 23889 and 30999 are listed, then given the AS path above the Mauritian IXP is not working; since all networks should be peering with one another.
>
> not all networks might agree :-)

We are not in this case neither.  But still if we had 3 peers at the exchange point, they should peer with one another. Each of them should have 2 peers.
A network that want to peer with only one AS is used to establish a private peering link.

>> - If more than 3 peers are listed to me, then this only traceroute is not sufficient to decide; since an ISP can decide to peer with some members and not with others.
>> Please note that traceroutes should be performed in both directions and note that there are 30 ASNs in Mauritius (https://stat.ripe.net/MU#tabId=database).

MIXP can be classified in this case thanks to its 10 peers. As I say, the traceroute only allows me to deduce that Mauritius Telecom and EMTEL are not peering at MIXP.
But I can not say that MIXP is not working: this requires that I launch traceroutes among all members.

> there are definitely *not* 30 ASNs in operation in mauritius.  you’re probably counting all afrinic’s ASNs - including the ones they use for anycast, that are not, ttbomk, even used in mauritius.  and networks that were made allocations but don’t use them.

Sure, I agree on this. Some ASes may not be in operation. We are in sync.

Thanks for the infos so far. Thanks to Frank as well.