[afnog] Subscriber Management with BNG

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 19 11:00:40 UTC 2016

On 19/Jan/16 09:33, Vincent Mwamba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are in the process of installing Broadband network gateways(BNG) on
> ASR9k for subscriber management in the access network using PPPoE and
> IPoE.
> We have a few concerns we would like some help with.

BNG implementations can sometimes be very vendor-specific (which is not
necessarily a bad thing), because this infrastructure is extremely
involved, with lots of moving parts.

My advice would be to spend 95% of your time working with your vendor to
get them to provide solutions to your problems. Some of the things you
want to do will be difficult to do in a multi-vendor BNG scenario. Given
how sensitive this kind of infrastructure is, I'd recommend working with
a vendor you're comfortable with.

> 1. How can we achieve Geo-redundancy without using proprietary cisco
> technology (nV cluster / Geo loacation) if possible.

Look at PPPoE Smart Server Selection. Not sure of its support in IOS XR.

However, I prefer DHCP to PPPoE, so check with Cisco if they have
something similar.

> 2. How can we have users dialing at any of the (2) locations and still
> get the same IP address.

I'd check with Cisco.

> 3. We have the BNGs connected directly to the Core network, is it okay
> to have the /32s at the point of entry into the core(about 5k routes).
> with this it allows a customer to dial from any location and pick the
> same address.

It's fine, as long as you keep this in your iBGP.

Pre-assigning an address pool for each BNG scales better, but it means
IP addresses could be different depending on which BNG the customer
connects to.

> 4. If the third point is not best practice how can we summarize
> without introducing other devices.

As above.

> 5. Any other help is appreciated

If you can, focus on DHCP. PPPoE is old school, and introduces
limitations that could hurt you in the future.