[afnog] AFNOG track content

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Oct 3 16:59:42 UTC 2016

On 1 Oct 2016, at 22:08, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> I would be interested to talk about fundamental topics for UNIX/Linux.

great, can you write up a brief course outline for how you think this
could work?
(even better, would be some course content for this;  but that’s
generally better done after the planning, eh?)

>> I think AfNOG should now aim more towards advanced trainings.
>
> TCP/IP is evolving. I would like to bring a few additions for
> discussion, which I personally believe would benefit our networks &
> servers in Africa.

i don’t think you understood noah’s response, so i’ll try:
it is *not* economically feasible to fly entry-level students, half-way
around africa, to hold an entry-level training class.  that idea *did*
make sense 15-20years ago, when the internet was still finding its legs
in africa, and there weren’t a lot of trainers, and students, around.
today, there are many, many, many, people that have been trained by the
likes of afnog/afrinic/pch/nsrc/isoc/etc..
that has raised the average skill level in the region dramatically.  any
way that you want to look at it, it makes more sense (read: it is
cheaper) to do entry-level classes in-country/in-city/online, where you
can reach a more localised audience.

that doesn’t mean that training on basic issues has been completed;
quite the contrary.  but to scale and grow, two things have to happen:
* entry-level classes should be happening in a more region-specific
area;  this ensures that more region-specific training can happen, in a
region-specific language (if necessary), at a relative lower cost.  two
great examples, are sdnog and tznog, where often, instruction happen in
local languages.  there are others, too.
* existing multi-region (so, something like the annual afnog workshops)
should “scale-up” and teach more advanced materials, that can then,
also become “regionalised” over time.

i don’t know what you want to “discuss” (your word) but if
you’re interested in teaching a course on fundamentals, then, have you
considered:
* teaching this face-to-face, in your local environment, and using that
feedback to refine your outline
* recording, and putting this online
* reaching out to some of the regional NOGs, and offering your
assistance

there are sufficient people on-list that might also be willing to
contribute back to your course outline/material as well.

hth,
—n.