[afnog] OpenNMS Tutorial at AIS 2018

Tarus BALOG tarus at opennms.org
Wed Apr 25 15:22:12 UTC 2018

Gang:

I am extremely happy to be able to come to AIS 2018 (my first time to
visit Africa) to present a one-day tutorial on OpenNMS. It will be held
on Sunday, 6 May.

OpenNMS is a network monitoring platform used on some of the largest
networks in the world. Despite that, it is 100% free and open source
software. If you have been looking for a network monitoring platform
with the features of expensive commercial solutions but without the
cost, OpenNMS might be for you.

While the normal OpenNMS training takes a week, I've put together a
"bootcamp" that will introduce you to the main features of OpenNMS in
one day. It is a "hands on" tutorial, and you are invited to bring a
laptop and do the exercises in the class.

To make this easier, we have created a VirtualBox image containing the
Linux distribution CentOS 7 and the latest OpenNMS release, Horizon 21.1.

Before coming to the class, please download the virtual machine and make
sure it works on your system. The .ova file is available here:

https://mirror.opennms.eu/share/virtualbox/

and you can get virtualbox from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.htm

Note that for the virtual machine to work you'll also need to install
the VirtualBox Extension Pack.

Make sure you can get it running before class. The username and password
for the main account is "opennms". Please feel free to contact me
directly if you have any issues.

If you want an introduction to OpenNMS, I made a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJzmkshdjiI

The class will be in English, as my French is not strong.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone in person. See you soon.

-T

--
Tarus BALOG, Maintainer                     Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 773 345 3645