[afnog] RIPE WHOIS & IRR Database for Out-Of-Region Resources

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 2 05:16:00 UTC 2018

Hi all.

As some of you might be aware, RIPE will very soon (September, I
believe) be implementing the below:

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/denis/out-of-region-route-6-and-aut-num-objects-in-the-ripe-database

Historically, several operators in Africa have been using the RIPE WHOIS
and IRR database for our resource allocations. RIPE will no longer be
supporting this come a few weeks from now.

It is important that we now begin to seriously use AFRINIC WHOIS and IRR
database to document our resources, as that data is replicated with all
major IRR databases. I know that there are also some global operators
that are querying the AFRINIC IRR database for filter generation.