[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 3 10:12:34 UTC 2018

On 3/Dec/18 12:00, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> By the way.
>

> Some CPE vendors already support it, but not in the retail models.
> This was explained in my presentation this week “Raiders of the lost
> Ark” “in search for the lost CPE”.
>

> https://meeting.afrinic.net/afrinic-29/components/com_afmeeting/speakers/3283/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-Jordi-Palet.pdf

I don't see a list of known vendors that support it today (retail),
which likely means none.

> Not sure when video will be available …
>

> The big offender is Mikrotik, they don't support any transition
> mechanism except 6in4 and this is now useless once you exhaust IPv4
> addresses. They are so negligent that they even confuse people using
> “6to4” to say “6in4”, and those are 2 different transition mechanisms.
> Not sure how much is being used in residential users in Africa … they
> are the big offender (I think also Ubiquity). Just don’t by them, or
> reflash them with OpenWRT and make sure to tell the vendor about it.
> Only market pressure will make them react.

Well then, I probably spoke too soon :-).

Mikrotik is widely used in Africa, both in the backbone and at home.

I know what you mean with the whole 6-to-4 instead of 6-in4- debacle.
Took me a minute to figure out while I was setting my tunnel up.

It's a shame, really, since they work hard to ship updates and bug fixes
out for their gear. It just seems like they don't have enough demand to
do more than just what they want, and for the price folk pay, most are
happy with what they get anyway.