[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Dec 3 10:22:32 UTC 2018

What I can say publicly is that my coauthors of the IETF document (D-Link and NEC) support it.

We also had this panel in APNIC and Zyxel said will do.

https://blog.apnic.net/2017/11/09/ce-vendors-share-thoughts-ipv6-support/

There are a few others, but I don’t think I can name them until they announce it, as in some cases only do for the firmware provided to ISPs not the retail firmware.

Regarding Mikrotik, implementing CLAT is a matter of few minutes. The code is publicly available, there are even several choices. They just don’t react to IPv6 transition. I’ve tried hard for several years, they never even responded emails, forum, etc.

Today you can by Chinese’s products far superior than Mikrotik for half the price, and they already have by default OpenWRT. For example, 5 Gig ports + USB + 2 WiFi radios, less than 20 USD, for some volume. No volume, just go to Aliexpress and you get it for about 25-30 USD, depending on chipsets, memory, etc. There are some with built-in GPON and even VoIP RJ11.

In the backbone, you don’t need the CLAT support, so that’s not a problem to keep using Mikrotik. Of course, NAT64 support will be very nice.

Regards,

Jordi