[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 3 10:18:21 UTC 2018

On 3/Dec/18 12:02, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Is the ISPs that enable IPv6 the ones that should update the CPE,
> unless is owned by the user, of course …but in different countries,
> this works different ways.

Agreed, I'm just talking about the effort.

In theory, the ISP should be the one to get IPv6 support into the home.
In practice, the cost of rolling out that out is too onerous for most.
If you take most MNO's (in Africa, anyway), it's still cheaper (maybe
time, but not money) to spend millions of US$ on CG-NAT than to do roll
out a serious IPv6 deployment plan for their network and customers.

vCPE made sense for me for this type of thing, as you can just push out
an update and all your customers are on the latest CPE code. Of course,
we know where this went.

Ultimately, CPE's that can last years in the home with the same hardware
but keep getting new code (a la Mikrotik, e.t.c) are where it's at. We
just need to get them to come to party.