[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Dec 3 10:29:10 UTC 2018

Spending the money in CGN is wrong.

After that you will need to invest also in buying IPv4 addreses, and that’s a problem in AfriNIC because the lack of inter-RIR policy.

Several service/apps providers, just as OpenDNS, Sony Playstation Network, are well known for including public IPv4 address pools in their black-list once they’re detected behind a CGN, so you end up using all the pools, and at the end, none of your addresses works with those apps.

The cost of not deploying IPv6 *NOW* is lower than waiting for later. You can start deploying IPv6 for new customers at least, and only replace the CPEs when they break or when a new service is deployed, but if you don’t plan ahead, your business gets impacted sooner or later.

This is what ISPs need to understand. So simple. Is not about IPv6, it is about keeping your business (profitable) and opening the doors to new services (IoT, providing security features for users such as home surveillance, etc.).

Some efforts in vCPEs is still being done, I think it may happen, but is not useful if it doesn’t allows routing different VLANs in the home, which is what I’ve seen till now.

If you’ve a nice “responsible” contact in Mikrotik, I’m happy to help …