[afnog] IPv6 transition mechanism used by ISP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Dec 3 10:38:16 UTC 2018

On 3/Dec/18 12:29, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> Spending the money in CGN is wrong.
>
> After that you will need to invest also in buying IPv4 addreses, and
> that’s a problem in AfriNIC because the lack of inter-RIR policy.
>
> Several service/apps providers, just as OpenDNS, Sony Playstation
> Network, are well known for including public IPv4 address pools in
> their black-list once they’re detected behind a CGN, so you end up
> using all the pools, and at the end, none of your addresses works with
> those apps.
>
> The cost of not deploying IPv6 **NOW** is lower than waiting for
> later. You can start deploying IPv6 for new customers at least, and
> only replace the CPEs when they break or when a new service is
> deployed, but if you don’t plan ahead, your business gets impacted
> sooner or later.
>
> This is what ISPs need to understand. So simple. Is not about IPv6, it
> is about keeping your business (profitable) and opening the doors to
> new services (IoT, providing security features for users such as home
> surveillance, etc.).
>
> Some efforts in vCPEs is still being done, I think it may happen, but
> is not useful if it doesn’t allows routing different VLANs in the
> home, which is what I’ve seen till now.

You're preaching to the choir.

At some point, you have to do your own work... can't push the horse anymore.

> If you’ve a nice “responsible” contact in Mikrotik, I’m happy to help …

Wish I did - for a company of its size it's like trying to find a
billing officer in a large telco. Things just go nowhere.

For a company with zero presence in Africa, they are very successful at
selling their gear.