[afnog] Portal IPV6 adoption @Facebook

Gael Hernandez gael at pch.net
Tue Sep 4 21:33:36 UTC 2018

On 4 Sep 2018, at 17:10, Sicelo wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 12:43:07PM +0100, Gael Hernandez wrote:
>> == Français ci-dessous ==
>> In case this is interesting to the list, Facebook started publishing
>> their
>> own (yet another) IPv6 adoption measurement.
>> https://www.facebook.com/ipv6
>
> Nice statistics!
>
>> Egypt (#41, 4.9% adoption), South Africa (#64, 2.95% adoption) and
>> Kenya
>> (#67, 10.69% adoption) are the top three African countries.
>>
> Doesn't look like South Africa and Egypt are top 3 :-)
> There is Zimbabwe with 7.61%, Ghana at 6.1%, Mozambique with 5.67%,
> etc.
> South Africa does have higher growth rate though.

You’re right, my email was confusing.

Facebook’s ranking (first column) is not by IPv6 adoption but by
traffic volume. So while Kenya, for instance, would be ranked #51 on
IPv6 adoption rate (10.69%), it only ranks #67 because of its traffic
volume.

>> Some work remains to be done! :-)
>
> Sad to see some with exactly 0.00%, such as my country, Swaziland.

At PCH, we maintain an IXP Directory that publishes statistics of v6
traffic exchanged at IXPs as a way to encourage adoption. Only a handful
of exchanges are providing disaggregated v6 stats though, so the list is
rather small.

https://www.pch.net/ixp/dir (then sort by IPv6 column)

Gael